ElizabethWatasin

'Tis Nyte! by Elizabeth Watasin

Gothic Steampunk, Noir Sci-Fi, Diesel Fantasy. Bringing You Uncanny Heroines in Adventuress Tales.

The Bombshell Manual of Style
Laren Stover, Ruben Toledo
The Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us from Violence
Gavin de Becker
Xenolinguistics: Psychedelics, Language, and the Evolution of Consciousness
Allyson Grey, Diana Reed Slattery
In The Eye of The Beholder: A Novel of The Phantom of the Opera
Sharon E. Cathcart

The 'two minds' process of writing:

Another shared by Theodora Goss:

"The work evolves on its own rather than with the author's intentions, but is always monitored by the critical eye of the writer. What is so difficult about this process is that one must keep the mind focused on two contradictory goals: not to miss the messages whispered by the unconscious and at the same time force it into a suitable form. The first requires openness, the second critical judgment. If these two processes are not kept in constant shifting balance, the flow of writing dries up. After a few hours the tremendous concentration required for this balancing act becomes so exhausting that the writer has to change gears and focus on something else, something mundane. But while it lasts, creative writing is the next best thing to having a world of one's own in which what's wrong with the 'real' world can be set right." --Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, Creativity

#amwriting What's described here is happening with my Dark Victorian short story, The Vesta, right now. I think because the work is within even more finite requirements, I'm more aware of this process (and am really glad it's been defined; I'm hardly articulate enough to describe what is happening except to be vague and mystical---which is annoying). Now it's been a week, I'm at 5K+ words (with a 10K limit, but if I go over, it's still beneficial; I can publish it on my own if I and my people can't cut it down). Despite trying to 'speed-write' for the sake of efficiency, discipline, and getting directly to the heart of the story, I'm still critical. I'll see what happens with the next novel, but I'm thinking this just may be my process. The outline gets laid down fairly quickly, but once I'm in there, I need to shape it towards what's important and everything spirals from there (and that's not a terribly fast process, nor dirty).

I'm glad to finally have an excuse to try a short though I've my fears; there are beautiful, elegant ways of delivering this particular form and I hardly think I've achieved it this time around, but 'tis a story, nonetheless. In other news, who is continuing the formatting of the Charm School digital comics and the print graphic albums? Bueller? Bueller? ;)

I am up to no. 3 of the Charm School digital comics. Six more to go, and no. 10 needs to be drawn!

all the best, ~eee