ElizabethWatasin

'Tis Nyte! by Elizabeth Watasin

Gothic Steampunk, Noir Sci-Fi, Diesel Fantasy. Bringing You Uncanny Heroines in Adventuress Tales.

The Bombshell Manual of Style
Sharon E. Cathcart

(reBlog!) Review: Chasing Ravens by Jessica E Paige

Reblogged from Kimber Leigh Reads:
Chasing Ravens - Jessica E. Paige
Feel like this is what 10 yr old me would have Loved---and me today, too. :)

***

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review

I haven't been pulled into a story like I was into Chasing Ravens... well, in a very long time. There was just something about this story that captivated me. I didn't want to put it down, and I'm glad I had the day off to read. I would characterize this as a coming-of-age, character-driven novel. Main character Anout learns to reach for what she wants in life, not to wait for others to act.

Anouk was an amazing character-- so well-written. I absolutely loved her. in fact all of the characters, no matter how small the role, were well-developed. Anouk was the epitome of kindness and courage, humbleness and loyalty. The story was rich in ancient folklore, which I found fascinating. The ancient stories didn't dominate the plot but rather added to it, weaving a rich tapestry.

One thing that stood out was the imagery. It was easy to picture the towns, forests, and the characters, Everything just seemed to leap off the pages and into my imagination. The entire story was the adventure of Anouk's teenage life, and what an adventure it was! She suffered through the death of her family at the beginning of the novel and was sent to live with her uncle in another village. From there her life became harder and more complicated, forcing some tough decisions.

If you like fantasy and folklore, then I highly recommend Chasing Ravens. I think this is a great book for all ages, not just YA-- I would definitely recommend it for voracious middle-grade readers. Fantasy, adventure, bravery, and a touch of sweet romance make Chasing Ravens a winner in my book.

Source: http://onceuponayabook.blogspot.com/2015/01/book-review-chasing-ravens-by-jessica-e.html